For those of us with children, the promise of Easter not only signifies the coming of spring, but also the onslaught of chocolate bunnies and a bounty of colored hard-boiled eggs.
Personally, I consider myself somewhat of an expert in the area of hard-boiled eggs. I am fortunate to live in an area where I can keep chickens. The coming of spring also means our chickens go into egg producing hyper-drive. Our small flock of 8 hens and a rooster, (Barry Egg-White) produce 6 to 8 eggs per day. Our household includes just me and my husband, so as you might imagine, I have explored the realm of cooking eggs in almost every way possible.
We also have three dogs and the cat, Pat. The dogs and Pat all eat hard-boiled eggs for breakfast every day. This is good for them, a yummy meal, and a cost savings in having to buy that much less pet food. Remember, when dealing with a plethora of hard-boiled eggs, creativity is king.
It is in this spirit and as a public service that I offer a list of 20 uses for hard-boiled eggs.
So, this year when you find yourself staring down 24 to 50 half smashed, dirt smudged hard-boiled eggs that have been colored, hidden, found, dropped, perhaps stepped on and then torpedoed into an Easter basket, you’ll know what to do.
10 Uses for Hard-boiled Eggs
1. If you have dogs or cats, add them to their food or serve alone (This is a particularly good use for those eggs that have received the more than their share of abuse).
2. Shrimp Stuffed Eggs
3. Hard boiled eggs for breakfast
4. Spinach Salad
5. Deviled Eggs w/Smoked Salmon, Basil Oil & Aioli
6. Hard boiled eggs for lunch
7. Deviled Eggs with Pancetta & Shallots
8. Cumin-Chive Stuffed Deviled Eggs
9. Egg Salad
10. Hard boiled eggs for dinner
- Chef Yvonne