Welcome to Eat Freely with Cybele, a cooking show dedicated to enhancing the cooking experience for everyone with food allergies and intolerances. Be sure to check back each month to watch our newest cooking segment with Cybele highlighting her newest recipes, techniques and tips to ensure all allergy-conscious consumers can Eat Freely and Enjoy Life!
Allergy Free Mac n' Cheese
- -12oz Brown Rice Penne pasta (Tinkyada is my favorite)
- 2 cups rice milk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp. grated yellow onion
- 1/4 cup superfine brown rice flour
- bay leaf
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of white pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- freshly ground pepper
- 3 c. shredded Daiya Cheddar cheese
- 1/3 c. gluten-free bread crumbs tossed with 1 tbsp. olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Boil large pot of water, and cook pasta 10 minutes until al dente, drain, rinse with cool water, drain. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile, warm rice milk in a sauce pan until hot, but not boiling. Set aside.
4. Heat olive oil over medium heat in heavy sauce pan. Add onion, and cook, stirring often, 2 minutes. Add brown rice flour, and cook stirring, 2 minutes more until golden. Don't burn it. Add the rice milk, a little at a time, whisking continuously to avoid lumps. Whisk vigorously, till smooth. Add bay leaf, big pinch of cayenne, white pepper, and nutmeg. Add salt and Dijon, stir, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cook stirring until thick and creamy 4-5 minutes. Whisk to smooth again if necessary. Add a few grinding of fresh pepper. Add 1 cup of cheese, and stir till melted. Remove from heat.
5. Combine sauce with pasta.
6. Spread ½ cup of the cheese in the bottom of a 11x7-inch rectangular baking dish. Top with 1/3 pasta (about 1 ¾ cups). Top with ½ cup cheese. Repeat until you have three layers of pasta, ending with cheese.
7.Sprinkle bread crumbs over top. Bake 1 hour. If top hasn't browned up enough, put under broiler 2-3 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.