Welcome to Eat Freely with Cybele, a cooking show dedicated to enhancing the cooking experience for everyone with food allergies and intolerances. Be sure to check back each month to watch our newest cooking segment with Cybele highlighting her newest recipes, techniques and tips to ensure all allergy-conscious consumers can Eat Freely and Enjoy Life!
Allergy Friendly Pancakes
- 3/4 cup rice milk (plus more, for thinning batter, as necessary)
- 2 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 tbsp. agave nectar or maple syrup or granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp. Ener-G Egg Replacer* mixed with 2 tbsp. rice milk
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp. King Arthur gluten-free multi-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal*
- 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum or guar gum
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder**
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- maple syrup
- Enjoy Life Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
1. Combine 3/4 cup of rice milk with lemon juice, and let rest about 10 minutes to sour into "buttermilk". Add canola oil, agave nectar, and vanilla extract, whisking well.
2. Combine egg replacer with rice milk, whisking till frothy.
3. Combine flour mix, corn meal*, xanthan gum, baking powder**, baking soda, and salt. Whisk well.
4. Using a wooden spoon, make a well in the center of the bowl. Pour in rice milk mixture and egg replacer. Stir well, smoothing out any lumps. If the batter seems too thick, thin by adding more rice milk, 1 Tablespoon at a time until proper consistency is achieved. You want it thin enough to spoon out onto the griddle, but not too thin.
5. Heat griddle over medium-high heat. Grease griddle LIGHTLY.
6. Scoop out about 1/4 cup of batter, per pancake. Cook, about 2 1/2 minutes, until bubbles have appeared around edges of pancakes and popped, and edges are setting. Reduce temperature if pancakes are cooking too quickly. Flip and cook about 2 1/2 minutes more. Transfer to warm plate. Serve warm with maple syrup, and sprinkling of Enjoy Life chips.
*For a corn-free version, omit cornmeal, use guar gum instead of xanthan gum (or use Authentic Foods corn-free xanthan gum), and increase King Arthur gluten-free multi-purpose flour to 11/4 cups. In place of the 1 1/2 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Replacer mixed with 2 Tablespoons rice milk, substitute 1 tablespoon flax seed meal mixed with 3 tablespoons hot water for a "flax egg". Be prepared to add additional rice milk to the batter, to thin it as necessary, and increase cooking time by about 2 minutes. They will be thicker.
**For corn-free baking powder, look for Hain Baking Powder