will tantalize your holiday guests appetites more than
a sensational bowl of soup. Winter vegetables or shell fish
make the perfect main ingredients for savory soups that will
have your guests oooing and ahhhing not only after each delectable
bite, but also over exquisite presentations.
Soup as a first course should be served
sparingly. Beautiful shallow soup bowls filled halfway or
3/4 to the top are perfect for such an occasion. The purpose
of a first course is to tease the appetite, not to fill your
guests up before the main course.
Soup can also be prepared ahead, even a
day ahead of the meal then simply re-warmed just prior to
serving. This is a great help when tackling a holiday dinner
with several menu items.
Most elegant soups are prepared in a similar
- Saute the vegetables which may consist
of onions, shallots, garlic, carrots, celery, leeks and
- Add dry white wine and reduce until liquid
has almost completely evaporated.
- Add stock, chicken, fish or vegetable
and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are very
- Transfer to a blender or food processor
- Strain soup to remove solids and return
to a clean pot.
- Add cream and bring to a boil then immediately
reduce heat to a simmer.
- Adjust seasonings and keep warm until
Once you have the soup, what transforms
it from great to spectacular is the presentation and garnishes.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Serve small squash soups in a halved
squash shell. Cut a flat spot on the bottom of the shells
to make sure they sit solidly on the plates.
- Garnish with contrasting colors.
- Puree garnish sauces and pour them into
squeeze bottles and squeeze a design on top of the soup
just before serving.
- Place an herb that has been used in the
soup on top of the soup for garnish.
- Garnish with 2" pieces of chives
in the center of the soup and sprinkle chopped chives around
the lip of the soup bowl.
The following are a collection of beautiful,
out-of-this-world delicious soups that will impress even the
most sophisticated gourmet.
Yellow Pepper & Roasted Tomato Soup
of Mussel Soup
Squash & Caramelized Apple Soup
Squash Soup w/Mushroom Mousse & Chives
of Cauliflower Soup with Roasted Red Pepper Puree
of Mushroom Soup
of Shrimp Soup
& Carrot Soup
Happy Holidays from Glutenfreeda.com!