Father’s Day wouldn’t be complete without an outdoor grilling experience with all the trimmings. I thought this was an feature on Mother’s Day? Exactly. This year we thought, ‘hey, what about Mom? Why can’t Mother’s Day include a little grilling for a change?’ So we decided to prepare and share a Mother’s Day grill with a few modifications, of course. We selected recipes with lower fat and foods that are a bit more delicate but just as robust in flavor.
Our Mother’s Day menu can be sized up or down depending on the number of guests or family members served. We’ve included two menu choices, one that serves 4 and the other that serves a party of 10.
No chef required
The second best thing about our Mother’s Day Grill, (the first is the taste!), is that each recipe is easy to prepare and all but the grilling can be made ahead of time. Attention all Dad’s: this is a great menu to prepare with your kids for Mom and the perfect warm up for the summer’s grilling season to come!
This meal can be prepared hours ahead of serving time. Ideally, we’d prep the meal mid-day to be served that evening.
Special equipment: Metal or wooden skewers. For wood skewers, soak in water at least 30 minutes before grilling to avoid burning.
- Make the dessert. The Cranberry Lemon Bars will keep nicely in the refrigerator. When you are ready to serve, simply cut into squares and place each on a decorative dessert plate.
- Make the marinade for the shrimp kebabs
- Make the marinade for the chicken kebabs
- Make the glaze for the pork kebabs
- Cut the pineapple, peel and devein the shrimp
- Cut the pork, onions and green bell peppers and season
- Cut the chicken and zucchini
- Make the kebabs
- Thread the pork and vegetables onto skewers; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate
- Make the spring rolls
- Chop all vegetables
- Soak rice papers in water
- Roll the spring rolls
- Dampen a paper towel and cover rolls then place them in a sealable plastic bag and refrigerate until ready to serve
- 1-1/2 hour before serving:
- Marinate the shrimp
- Marinate the chicken
1 hour before serving:
- Take the spring rolls out of the refrigerator, cut on the diagonal and arrange decoratively on a serving plate and serve.
- Cook the edamame; drain and toss with sesame oil and sprinkle with salt; serve in bowls with empty bowls for discarding pods
- Take kebabs out of refrigerator
- Light the grill
- Start the rice
30 minutes before serving:
- Thread shrimp and pineapple/ chicken and vegetable onto skewers
- Grill all the kebabs
Happy Mother’s Day !
- Serve rice in large serving bowl
- Serve kebabs on large platter
- When everyone is ready, cut Lemon Squares and serve.